April 8, 2018


April 8, 2018

Dear Kami and Caden,

This big highlight of the week was Mom’s birthday.  The birthday planning started Monday night when I took the kids shopping for presents.  I set off with all five of them, and thought we would have a fun time, but I had forgotten how hard it is to shop with a crowd.  When we arrived, I suggested that Maddie and Isabelle go get their presents, and I would take the boys to get what they wanted.  Within five minutes I was ready to pull out my hair!  I was pushing a cart, but the boys could not keep their hands off of it.  Between the four of us, there was constant pushing and tugging from all four sides of the cart.  If you could have traced our path, it probably would have looked like I was having a seizure or something!  I kept telling them “let go of the cart!  Stop pushing the cart!  Just don’t touch the cart!”  I was pretty sure I was going to go crazy before we got out to the car. To make matters worse, I was trying to text someone from work, but the kids just wouldn’t stop talking to me for fifteen seconds. I finally foisted Nolan and Abe off on Maddie so they could go purchase their presents, and took Pace with me to grab a couple of things.  The most surprising part of the trip was when I went to get wrapping paper.  I asked Pace what kind we should get, and he immediately responded, “The pink one!”  I looked and asked, “Do you think Mom would like Minnie Mouse paper?”  His emphatic reply was, “I know she will!”  So we bought Minnie Mouse wrapping paper.

Wednesday morning I decided to take the day off and spend it with Mom.  We went to the gym and worked out together.  Pace has a friend at the gym named Lola. When we went to pick him up, they were sitting on a slide, and it didn’t look like they were getting much playing done.  Pace ran over to us and I asked him if he said goodbye to his friend.  He explained sourly that she had been kicking him!  He had his funny little angry face on so I asked him again, “did you say goodbye to her?”  He huffed and then ran over to her and hollered, “Goodbye!”  She replied, “you say goodbye to me, and I say goodbye to you.  GOODBYE!!!”  After the gym, we picked up Joleen and took her to her probation meeting. (for anyone who isn't familiar with Joleen, she is a lady that Amy has been helping get her life back in order.  We have known her since last summer and Amy has helped her meet the requirements of her probation by getting her to meetings and watching her baby while she did community service - among many other things.)  I mostly came along to make sure she didn’t commandeer mom for the rest of the day to drive her all over town.  After that we got cleaned up and Mom, Pace and I went to lunch.  The afternoon just flashed by, and then it was time to fix her birthday dinner.  I made stir fried vegetables and potstickers.  I also made a sugar free birthday cake, which looked good, but was so disappointing!  Mom loved her birthday present – a heated shiatsu foot massager, but what she liked the most was the letters she got from each of you.  Thanks for remembering her birthday and making her feel special!

The boys started track this week.  We had practice on Tuesday night, and a meet on Thursday night.  Nolan and Abe both did the javelin and the long jump.  Nolan went first on each event, and had three good throws with the javelin, but Abe stepped up and with his first throw, beat Nolan’s best by about a foot.  I was proud of Abe, but I was more proud of Nolan for how proud he acted of his little brother.  After the field events, Abe ran the 50 M and the 400 M, and Nolan ran the 100M and the 200 M.  They both made respectable showings.  It was cold and rainy, but we had a good time.   The kids (including Maddie who was recording times for the races) were all shocked at the tantrum one boy threw after his race.  His dad wrestled with him for a good twenty minutes before the kid settled down.


Pace is always feeling like he is a victim of . . .  the world, I guess.  Monday night he was messing around in the kitchen and hit his head on the oven door handle.  He grabbed his head and started howling!  When I came to see what was wrong he snapped at me, “Dad, you should have put that (the oven) somewhere else!”  How irresponsible of me to leave the oven just lying around!   



I hope you have a great week!
Love,
Dad



Comments

  1. Hilarious! I hate taking all of the kids shopping. Someone always ends in tears with us. Sometimes it's me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

March 25, 2018

August 12, 2019

April 5, 2020